This was from the Dec 22, 1954 paper. There is a photo in the paper of Chief Leonard Monague and his daughter Stella presenting hydro chairman Bob Saunders with gifts, we don’t have a copy except on microfilm. The event was the throwing of the switch to supply the first hydro to the island.
The photo shows a bulldozer being unloaded on the island side, it has an attachment to bury the cable down to the shore.
The reel of cable is shown at Port McNicoll where it probably arrived dockside by rail and has been loaded onto a barge. Caption reads: Electrical cable for Christian Island, Oct 3, 1954. Rex Scaiff, C. S. Tiny Wise, E. Beausoleil. 1150 feet of 1 1/4 inch cable laid from Christian Island to the mainland in less than an hour. Water up to 150 feet deep.
We also have as part of the collection photos of others groups who visited the Island. Photos will follow the description…
They had come to the island from other bands as an outing, like a summer camp, July 57. Another of a class trip from the island to Midland in 1956, no names, should be of interest.
Four boys with craft stuff caption from paper; “Donald Cooke, Baptist George, Hilton Sandy and Robert Whiteye work at handcrafts at the Mohawk Institute Camp on Christian Island. The 48 boys and girls, ranging in age from 7 to 18, all come from broken homes in southern Ontario Indian Reserves. Several bands contributed funds so the youth could have this outing.”
Caption from school trip; “Senior pupils of Christian Island United Church Public School are shown with their teacher F. E. Kempling in front of the YMCA following a tour of the Midland Free Press Friday afternoon. Group visited a grain elevator, Midland Footwear, Midland Reinforced Plastics, The Canadian Nameplate and played a baseball game with Sixth Street School following a picnic lunch in Little Lake Park.”
Strawberry caption July 56; “Displaying luscious strawberries grown in Wyebridge on the farm of R. W. Preston are Molly Swales, a member of the Loblaw’s staff and Merritt McCue of Christian Island head picker for Mr. Preston. The big berries were developed by Mr. Preston in conjunction with the late Dr. E. A. Smith of Ohio. It has taken five years to get the plants to production stage.”
Thanks to the Midland Free Press (And County Herald), and to Tom Barber for sharing!)