The present Knox Presbyterian Church was not the first to stand on this site. In 1887, with the cornerstone laid by Mrs. J. Dollar, a small brick building was constructed on the corner of First street and Hugel Avenue which was to house Midland’s Presbyterian population. This building was not to last long. In 1903 it was torn down and the current Knox was built in its place. This new church was built at a cost of approximately $10 000, with thanks in large part to the generous donations of James Playfair and his partner D.L. White.