The Midland Curling Club was built on the Midland Fair Grounds in 1919. It was designed by architect Wilfred F. Smith and built by contractors Will and Isaac Cumming, who were life-long members of the curling club. Initially the club used natural ice but in 1933 they made the switch to artificial ice, having it piped in underground from the Arena Gardens. Roughly 13 miles of pipe were used to create the ice for the two buildings. At the time, Midland was the only town between Toronto and Winnipeg to use artificial ice. In 1942 women began using the club ice as well. The Midland Curling Club has seen generations of curler pass across its ice, including world champions Russ and Glen Howard.
Winners of the 1928-29 Midland Curling Club Trophy. Back: Mr. C.H. Russell, Mr. F.W.Heels, Seated: Mr. B.A. Nicholls, and Mr. S.J. Brodeur.
Inside the Midland Curling club, Date unknown.
Members of the Midland Curling Club, C. Unknown. From Left to right: Joe Dunlop, Jack Cowan, Ernie Nicholson, Bob Dedman, Fred Hill, Unknown, George Walton, Ike Cumming, Bud Lamb, Bill Hill, Verne Johnston, Lorne Watson (?), Doc JAmes, Del HAstings, Charlie Dawson, Joe Wilcox, Unknown, Charlie Russell, Unknown, Bill MacKenzie, Phil Thiffault, Fred Lynn, Fred Heels, Jim McDonald, Unknown.
Fred Hill and Ike Cumming of the Midland Curling Club.
The Midland Curling Club in full swing.
Ladies of the Midland Curling Clubs c. 1958.