This is the former home of Thomas Chew, local grist and saw mill owner. Chew was a member of a prominent family of area businessmen who played crucial roles in the development of Midland; even going so far as to stay fully operational and pay workers a good wage, at a great financial loss to themselves, during a downturn in the lumber market in order to help sustain the town. The Chew House was originally built in 1875. It was purchased in 1891 by Ella Chew, wife of Thomas, and remained in the Chew family until 1937, when it was subdivided into apartments and its interior considerably altered. It has been lovingly restored and stands today as a memorial to one of Midland’s pioneering families.