- Hunters wound six cows, Henry Cadeau of Port Severn reports that six of his pastured herd of twenty milk cows bear evidence of the duck hunting season which just opened. Only two were seriously wounded and all will recover, Henry worried about the coming deer season
- Three to four hundred duck hunters invade the Coldwater area every fall and opening day, to those unaware, sounds like a military invasion
- Anglican rectory in Penetang is being demolished, believed to be 70 years old, the 12 room, two storey brick structure will be replaced by a modern building. M. H. McGuire recalls that prior to this rectory the minister lived in a log house at the south end of Fox Street
- Ten Years Ago 1945– Camp Marygrove opens on Penetang Bay – Dominion government spending $109,000.00 dredging Midland Harbour, 200 thousand cubic yards of the bottom to be removed – Midland had its first snowfall of the year – work begins on a new highway between Orillia and Coldwater
- Weekly Editorial comment “Wise and Otherwise”. Oct 5, 1955 “It is rather shocking when one realizes that there are about 1,000 children in Simcoe County, that is about three out of every 100, who are under the direct or indirect care of the Children’s Aid Society. Many of them are teenagers, for whom it is difficult to find foster homes and who were born during WW ll, the victims of broken homes. Not all battle casualties end with armistice.”
- Ad in the Free Press – “Wanted – Dump Trucks for Hire, All Sizes – for hauling crushed stone to the Toronto area”. Nelson Crushed Stone Ltd. Burlington Ont.
- Giant Jamboree at Midland Arena featuring the Dusty Owens Show, with Lazy Jim Day, Dot and Smokey, The Rodeo Boys and Little Miss Donna Darlene
- Free Press editor and publisher Bill Cranston in an address to the Barrie Kiwanis Club explained the connection between the Free Press Herald and Barrie. In 1917 the Midland paper was incorporated and the proprietor of the Barrie Gazzete at the time, Alfred Wilkes, along with his printing equipment, became the first editor and manager.
- East Simcoe MLA Lloyd Letherby announces that an early start is to be made in 1956 on the new road between Crown Hill and Highway 12 at Fesserton (400 extension) and form a link with the Trans Canada Highway presently pushing north from Port Severn
- Midland Frosted Food Lockers, 239 First Street, is selling Grade “A” turkeys for 55 cents per pound
Have you ever opened your tax bill or tried to deal with Midland town hall and wished it would just go away. 575 Dominion Ave. circa 1955
They’ve held the reins for years. Two veterans of farm and municipal life contemplate the results of their work at the annual West Central Simcoe Plowing Match near Wyevale, Walter Middleton reeve of Flos and Arthur Downer, Reeve of Tiny.
Trio joins St. Andrew’s Hospital staff, shown beside a new piece of kitchen equipment. Mrs. Elizabeth Outerbridge dietician, Miss Margaret Heasman physical and occupational therapist, Miss Muriel Carr, laboratory technician. Miss Heasman is the daughter of Mr. & Mrs. J. P. Heasman and was born in Elmvale, attended Evergreen School and MHS, graduating in 1952, she attended the University of Toronto for three years. achieving honours standing every year and finishing top of her class.
Former Pratt barn at the corner of Bay and Queen streets is being renovated to serve as the headquarters for Midland Police , fire and public works departments. It will be the permanent home of the public works when police and fire move to the new municipal building being constructed on Dominion Ave.
Free Press staff member Anita Fournier of Penetanguishene with four St. Lawrence apples grown by Milton Barr on the 4th Concession of Medonte. It has been an excellent year for all types of tree fruits.
- Velma Roi and Raymond Robitaille, St. Anns
- Lisa Buttineau and Monty Forget, September 17th, St. Anns
- Joan Alberta Logan and Roy Gordon Harriman, September 10, St. Margarets
- Julie Robitaille and Edgar Andrew Parent, September 13th, St. Patricks
- Vivian Archer and Brian M. Jones, September 24th, St. John’s Anglican, Waverley
- Lois Kay Daymond and Charles J. Henderson, at the home of the bride
- Marilyn Joy Hornsby and Donald Eugene Edwards, September 24th, Waverley United Church
- Mary Diane Taylor and Kenneth William Hooper, September 3rd, at the home of the brides grandparents