This photo shows diesel locomotives in Port McNicoll to test the trestle. Steam is being replaced by diesel across the CPR, Port will be the last place in Ontario to use regularly assigned steam. Hood unit 4012 is a model FA1 built by the Montreal Locomotive Works in 1950 and will be retired in 1965, 8598 is a road switcher model RS10 also built by MLW but in 1956 and retired in 1982. The scene is beside the coal trestle & chute in the Port yard. Official were concerned about the weight of the engines affecting the trestle, combined weight was 518,000 pounds.
This photo was taken in the spring of 1956
Caption courtesy of Tom Barber
All comments and questions are welcome.