Grocery Chain Offers $45,000 for Town Hall Property
Loblaw’s Groceterias Limited was given a two month option on the current King Street Fire Hall and Council Chambers by Midland Council, the deal is conditional on the towns ability to obtain the Central School property on Dominion Avenue. Deposit $150.00
Central School Burns
Midland ‘s oldest school was completely destroyed in an early morning fire. Built in 1880 and enlarged in 1900 Central was recently condemned then repaired and reopened in September of 1953. Local taxi driver Bill Therrien reported the fire at 1.45 AM and the glow from the fire could be seen in Elmvale. Arrangements have been made to move the students to other schools and the new Midland Armory.
Photos 910 & 913
New School in Coldwater?
School Board and Coldwater Council cannot see eye to eye on the expenditure for a new school. Board has secured the services of an architect and chosen a site.
Farmer Dies of Burns
William Peden, 65, Rosemount area farmer dies in Orillia hospital of burns received when a coal oil lamp ignites gasoline fumes as a delivery truck fills the farms tank. His son Pat, 34, received burns to his hand trying to extinguish his father’s clothing. Concession 9, Tay Township.
Public Works and Firefighters seek wage increase at council meeting. Firefighters were requesting $200 annual salary increase while public works were asking for 15 cents per hour. Looking ahead to December 15th the firefighters got $125 and works staff 15 cents per hour.
Midland Monarchs Intermediate “A”
First line is ready for their season opener against the Parry Sound Shamrocks in Parry Sound Nov 24th. LtoR, Babe Deschamp, Roy “Mut” Collings and Chuck Edwards. Deschamp & Collings are veterans of the team, Edwards is a former Collingwood lad who played his hockey in Woodstock last year.
Local advertisers this week – How Many Remain?
Harvey Ellison Limited – Wagg’s Laundry and Dry Cleaners Limited – Bourgeois Motors – H.J. Thompson & Sons Limited – Globe Restaurant – Leitch Motors Dominion Ave. – Shulman’s Furniture – Eleanor’s Beauty Shop 284 Fourth St. operated by Ruth E. Hornsby, formerly Vel Perrault – Strathearn’s Jewellers – Midland Photographic Supplies (Rolphoto ) – Midland Planing Mill – PMCL – The C. Beck Co. Ltd. – IGA – Nap Beauchamp Construction Penetang – H.S. St. Amant and Sons Penetang – Herb A. Wiles electrician – Hugh Blair contractor – Richard Matthews contractor Penetang – Warman Motors (Singer Motors, Roger Hunter, Adco Tire) – Pen Bowling Alleys – Olympic Sporting Goods – Gray Coach – Barber & Haskill – Loblaws – Lorne Watson photography – Midland Motor Sales, Joseph Beausoliel proprietor Bay & Second – Archie Attridge White Rose Service Station – Edwards Specialty Shoppe – Bev`s Marine – Roxy and the Pen Theatres – DeNure & Son Transport – J.E. Desroches 11 Simcoe St. Penetang – Blondin Sales and Service Penetang – P.H. Jory – Hebner`s Taxi – Penetang Bottling Co. Limited – Dominion Store Midland & Penetang – Gropp Motors – James Bath Plumbing & Heating – Orr`s Jewllers – Midland Coal & Wood Co. – Liggetts Rexall Drugs – Webster Radio Penetang – L. Livingston Clothing – Bryant`s Jeweller Penetang – Meads Penetang – Struthers Drugs – Peoples Store Limited -Doris` Snack Bar in the bowling alley – Gignac’s Children Wear Mens Wear Penetang – Canadian Tire – Beaver Lumber – Midland Frosted Food Lockers – Sanderson Monuments , Frank Doherty – A. Barrie & Sons – Morrisson’s Drug Store Penetang – V.B Strickland Realestate – Ralph R. Wilson Insurance – Canadian National Railways – Graham Swales – J.M. Wallace & Sons Ltd Fuel – Simmonds Transport – Tessier Planing Mill Penetang – Hackers Variety Store – Daniells Welding Service – Walker Stores
Free Press Herald and County Herald have paid subscriptions in 3,800 out of the 4,400 North Simcoe homes.
Midtown Motel a revelation in rebuilding. Karl & Keith Bertrand are inviting all to the opening of their renovated motel this Friday. Starting with a garage building they have transformed it into a modern motel and restaurant complex. Local trades and suppliers were used wherever possible. The appearance of the 50 by 150 foot structure has been so altered that many thought the old building must have been demolished.
Photos 783 & 788