Click on photos to enlarge
Mary McFarland was crowned queen of the Adelphi Hi-Y dance at the Midland YMCA Thursday night, she is seen with some of the many prizes she won, which were later stolen from her parent’s car on the main street.
Prior to Easter, public and separate school children in the area were introduced to Elmer the safety elephant under a program set up by the Midland & District Safety Council and sponsored by the Simcoe County Police Association. Children were given talks by local policemen and shown films on the latest safety measures. In front of Regent Public School student Barbara Kirkpatrick admires Elmer’s cape. Provincial constable Tom Heels, Midland Constable Ray Atkinson, chairman of the council, and Sgt. John Clarke of the CPR Police, Port McNicoll, with Regent principal Morgan (Orson) Lewis.
Hundreds of kids turned out for the second annual Midland Y’s Men’s Club Easter egg hunt in Little Lake Park Saturday. Medal discs with multiple perforations were spread throughout the park and when found were exchanged for candy. Big winners were Billy Ward, 6 year old son of Mr. & Mrs. Dalton Ward and Nancy Wilson, 10 year old daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Don Wilson. Both received a large box of candy. A big chocolate egg went to second place winners Lorne Fenton, David Lamb, Ron Sharpe and Jerry Beteau. Every child taking part in the hunt received a lollipop.
Midland firemen prepare to enter a second story window at the home of Mrs. Ed Puddicombe, 189 George Street, which caught fire Thursday morning. The eighty year old widow who lived alone was able to get out when an overheated chimney caught fire. Mrs. Puddicombe had returned the night before from Toronto where she had appeared on television with her twin sister Mrs. George Puddicombe.
Midland rinks won two of three trophies at the seventh annual Mixed Bonspiel, winning the second event and the R.R. Wilson Trophy are; Mrs. M. Magloughlin, Stan Spence, Miss Joyce Bowman and skip Jack Wilson.
Mr. & Mrs. Herman Trew of the 2nd concession Medonte celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary. Herman was born at Jennetville south of Lindsay January 20th, 1879 and Mrs. Trew nee Mable E. Brown of Vasey was born August 29, 1887 and they married on March 28, 1906.
Midget Boys basketball team on front steps of the Midland YMCA on Hugel Ave. hoping to avenge a defeat they received at the hands of the Orillia squad at a recent tournament at the Orillia YMCA. Front, Pete Davis, John Bell, John Nicholson and John Richardson; center, Lawrence Curry, Wilbert Lamb, John Edwards and Ken Mackie; back, Fred Jackson, Frank Okenka and Dave Bertrand.
Peter Grigg, fire chief in the Town of Midland for 28 years is presented with a miniature fire hydrant as a gift from the citizens of Midland on his retirement also an award of merit from the mayor. In the photo; fellow fire fighter Hank Wood, Mr. Grigg and Phil Blake.
Peter Grigg center, fire chief in the Town of Midland for 28 years is presented with a wallet with a fat bank note by fellow fire fighter Hank Wood at a banquet held at the Parkside Inn to celebrate his retirement. Jack Argue on the right.
Members of the Adelphi Hi-Y Club are seen in their club room at the YMCA sorting a collection of pop bottles, coat hangers and six quart baskets, a fundraiser to send children to summer camp. Bob Megaw, Bob Bell, Roger Gray and Joe Denis.
- Rei Construction, Midland, was the low bidder on the new Midland municipal building to be erected at Second St. and Dominion Ave. Midland council examined seven bids with the architects before selecting Alfred Rei’s bid of $192,853.00.
- Grew Boats in Penetang is headed for its biggest year ever, states manager Andrew Morrisson. Seventy persons are now on Grew’s staff and some are working four nights a week to keep up with demand. The new 6,000 square food building is completed and new production machinery installed.
- Council names Arnold Tippin Midland’s new fire chief.
- The Wagon Wheel dance hall at Balm Beach, owned and operated by Midlander Herb Beauchamp, was completely destroyed by fire Sunday afternoon, a loss of $20,000.00. The Wagon Wheel, opened for business on May 24th, 1948, measured 80 by 60 feet and was one of the best appointed halls in the district. Herb also owned the Circle B Hall on county road #2 just west of Midland.
- Girl Guide Marie Lepage of Penetang is one of 222 Ontario Guides to be honoured at U of T Convocation Hall and receive her gold cord certificate from Mrs. Louis Breithaupt wife of the Lieut.-Governor.
- Elmvale District High School to proceed with four room addition.
- Installation of dial telephones in homes and businesses served by the Midland exchange got under way this week in preparation for the cutover of Midland’s system in July. A large number of local phones are convertible to dial, others will be replaced with dial models. A temporary number card showing the present phone number will be placed in the center of the dial. Customers are asked to remove the card at the time of cutover to reveal the permanent new dial number underneath.
- TEN YEARS AGO 1946; A grass fire which started near the Penetang Arena, completely destroyed the 17 year old structure in less than one hour. Radar, an invention of the war years, had workmen at the Midland Shipyards busy installing it in the CSL freighter, Lemoyne. Rev. J. M. Castex, rector of St. Ann’s Church, was made Right Rev. Monsignor J. M. Castex, he was 74.
- At the Roxy; Long John Silver, the Tall Men and Count Your Blessings. At the Pen; King Richard and the Crusaders, East of Eden and When Worlds Collide.
- Swann’s garage and Henry Laurin’s Shell are advertising a free car wash with every spring change over.
- Fifteen ships have cleared local ports, beginning with the CSL’s Sir James Dunn from the Tiffin.
- A new business opens at 249 King Street next week, the ‘Cross Country Cut Rate Store’ will sell camping and outdoor equipment, clothing, footwear and government surplus. The site was the former Arcade Store operated by G. W. Broad.
- Hub Motel in Elmvale plans a 300 foot long by 75 foot wide swimming pool parallel to the Wye River in front of the motel units. (This is not an April Fools joke).
- Open A. A. meeting in Midland tonight, more than 200 men and women have felt the impact of A. A. in their lives since the Midland group formed nine years ago.
- Grain elevator managers, grain handlers and hundreds of other employees connected with the trade are in a happy mood again after five ships brought a total of 2,826,565 bushels of wheat to near empty elevators in Midland and Port McNicoll Sunday and Monday.
- See “Flirty Spring Straws” at Flo’s Hatland, 217 Hugel Ave. W., Midland’s Only Individual Hat Store. Sure cure for buck fever, “White Bucks” are here again at Cumming – Nicholson Fine Shoes. RIP Jim, thanks for all you did for Midland.