Yet another in our continuing series of photos pertaining to Port McNicoll Public School and its students, this photo appeared in the May 3rd, 1957 edition of the County Herald. The caption is below the photo.
Mr. Bruce Duncan was the chair of the school board in 1957 and made his living as the supervisor and head painter in the CPR Paint Shop. He was known for his ability as a sign painter and his amateur artistic abilities. Along with his wife, Florence, he ran a small marina which began behind the CPR Paint Shop and then moved to the larger bay between what had been Swan Island and Dead Horse Island, just north of the slip. The young artist, Bob Duncan went on to become the first Fire Chief for the Township of Tay. His younger brother, Doug, otherwise known as Leftie, owned and operated Duncan’s Marina with his wife Vickie (nee, Tucker) and their two sons, just as his parents had done.
Something extra at the Port McNicoll Public School open house was a display of oil paintings by 11 year old student Bobby Duncan. Last winter he took his first lessons in oil from Duncan Armbrest of Midland. Pictured are Mrs. Duncan, Douglas 8, Bobby, Mr. Armbrest and father Bruce Duncan.