These photos appeared in the Midland Free Press, April 23rd, 1958, page 2, and were accompanied by the following caption:
First new commercial building to be erected in Port McNicoll in some years, work on the new post office is now well underway. Located on Fourth Ave., the new building will also contain the residence of Postmaster and Mrs. John (Patsy) Reedy. Mr. Reedy is shown in the lower photo painting door frames.
The background of the first photo shows the garage, since demolished, belonged to the Calvert building. Next to the garage we see the Garneau house in the background. Mr. Reedy’s hat is partially obscuring the house built by Jack and Ruth (Crooke) Lever, moving to the right is the house belonging to Agnes and Alphonse Maheu who had recently celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary and 45 years of living in Port McNicoll.
The second photo also shows a great deal of detail. The back of Mr. Zoloty’s shoe repair shop and home. Mr. Zoloty was also a commercial photographer in a time when few people would own a camera. The west side of the Vasey Hardware building can also be seen in the background.
Photo Credit: Huronia Museum Free Press Collection.