Huronia Museum – Looking Back 60 Years in North Simcoe – June 24th to 30th 1955


New Sault Ste. Marie owners decide 30,000 island area better bet than the northern run planned between the Sault and Michipicoten. Dover will run daily, three hour cruises from Midland but will not carry freight or make scheduled passenger stops. Evening cruises are planned as well. Captain Anson Smith has been engaged to return the Dover to Midland.

Remember those area news columns (gossip) in the local paper:

Wyebridge – Mrs. Bob Lambie and Patsy of Elmvale were guests of Mrs. Ellsworth Collins on Tuesday; Mrs. Alex Van Camp, Mrs. Dave Somers, Toronto, and Mrs. Hollern of Niagara Falls visited Mr. & Mrs. Raymond Eakley, Sunday etc.

Sunnyside – Visiting Mr. & Mrs. Walter Van Luven on Sunday were Mr. & Mrs. Howard Therrien and son Ivan, Mr. & Mrs. Billy Therrien and baby of Toronto, Mr. & Mrs. Raymond  Therrien and daughter Debbie of Penetang and Mr. & Mrs. Thomas Zoschke and son Walter of Midland Point, etc.

 Coldwater – Mr. & Mrs. Allan Davis and children and Miss Helen Aitcheson, all of Toronto, spent the weekend at the Tipping cottage, “One Eye Point”, Matchedash Bay, etc.

Waubaushene – Mrs. Charles Tucker spent the weekend visiting relatives in Beaverton and attended  the wedding of her niece; Mr. & Mrs. Alvin Tucker spent a day last week in Toronto, etc. 

Elmvale – Mrs. William Watson is spending a few days with her mother Mrs. Martin Beardsall, Mr. & Mrs. E. Arthur Copeland were in Toronto last Thursday to attend the convocation at Osgoode Hall when their son Robert who received his degree of barrister-at-law and was called to the bar, etc.

Vasey – Mr. & Mrs. Wray Faint and Douglas of Midland spent Sunday with Mr. & Mrs. Frank Rumney. Miss Marion McClung underwent an appendectomy, etc.

There were also reports from Lovering, Hobart, Perkinsfield, Victoria Harbour, Lafontaine, Melduf, Hillsdale, Penetang, Wyevale, Waverly

 Click photos to enlarge

2006 0020 1237

 Tops in their age group, members of the Richmond Virginians were winners of the International League title in Saturdays playoffs. Front, Bill Doherty, Billy Mackie, Arnold Belfry, Ron Church, David McLaughlin, Richard Mohan, Gary French. Back row, C.O. Marshall coach, Bob Matthews, Dick Matthews, David Lamb captain, A. Dagg and Rev Len Self League director.

2006 0020 1238

 Midland’s first major band award was won in Waterloo on Saturday, the Provincial championship for class 2 brass bands. The group beat out national champs the Metropolitan United Church Band and the Orillia Silver Band that has held the provincial title for three years. Back row, Hugh Smith, Bert Martin, John McAllister, John McAllister Sr., Charles Palmer, David Henry, George Haskill Jr., Garv Campbell and Tom Bell. Middle row; Shirley Wiles, Helen Smith, Lorne Belcher, Charles Gordon, Don Eplett, Bob Thompson, Clinton Truax, John Richardson, Bill Bates, Kay Kirkup, Clifford Brown, Peter McHugh, Norm Jackson, Kay Munday and Patsy Perrin. Front row, kneeling, Elaine Munday,  seated, Mayor Charles Parker, Bandmaster Al Hume, kneeling, Barbara Nichols, seated, Vern Holyrod and alderman Clinton Smith of the band committee and Shirley Silver kneeling. Absent were Jim Nicholson, Virginia Bath, Isabel Stewart, Joanne Bell and Clifford Flanagan who directed the band.

2006 0020 1210

First large raft of logs to be put over the dam at Port Severn in more than a decade was run through by Ed Copeland, a Midland sawmill operator. Mr. Copeland is in the boat, foreground on the dock is Joe King of Port Severn a veteran of many river  drives years ago. The raft contained around 4,000 poplar, hemlock, pine and basswood logs cut in the Six Mile Lake area. They were towed across the bay to Port McNicoll for transportation to the mill.

2006 0020 1224

 Capt. and Mrs. Albert Lavigne celebrate 50 years of marriage on June 6th. Albert was born one of 14 children in a log home on Concession 7, Tiny Township near Perkinsfield in 1881. Albert was schooled in French at Perkinsfield but the family moved to Muskoka Mills when he was about nine, his dad caring for the horses for Andrew Miscampbell. Their new school was all English and Albert and his  brother Olivia had to start over. The Lavigne’s moved back to Midland eight years later where his dad worked for Mr. Playfair and the children attended the old wooden school on Manly Street. Captain Lavigne began his sailing career  around the age of 19 on an American ship the W. P. Thew, earning $45.00 per month.  After his season on the Thew Alfred worked for Playfair rolling logs for fifty cents a day. When Playfair built the tug Magnolia Albert got to help and when it was launched in 1901 he went on as a deckhand. He worked his way up, fireman, wheelsman and finally mate under Captain Sandy Cuffe. In February 1916 Albert passed his exams as a tug master and also has his mates papers on passenger ships. His first tug was the McAuley for the Canadian Dredging Company. He also served 12 years as master of the Glenbogie and was also master of the Laketon for some time. He has been called out of retirement many times to fill in, even this year he was called to take the City of Dover to Sault Ste. Marie.

Mrs. Lavigne, the former Elizabeth McDonnell was born in Sturgeon Bay the youngest of the eight children of Mr. & Mrs. Allan McDonnell. The families lived side by side on Mill Street in Midland as both fathers were long time employees of Mr. Playfair’s and the children attended the Manly Street school. They were married at St. Margaret’s on June 6th, 1905 and their first home was on Mill Street but for 30 years they have lived in the big brick house at 278 (302) Manly Street that was built for Albert’s father Joseph Lavigne. The couple have four children, three boys followed their dad’s career on the lakes, Cyril and Joseph of Midland and Alvin in Marathon. Daughter Madeline, now Mrs. Albert Asselin, lives in Victoria Harbour.

2006 0020 1234

Young priests ordained at Shrine. Marking the 25th anniversary of the canonization of the Canadian Martyrs, twelve young priests were ordained at the Shrine. The ceremony was performed by His Excellency Most Rev. Francis V. Allen, DD, Auxiliary Bishop of Toronto. The new priests were from Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, New York, Massachusetts and Hungary.


 June 25th at St. Mark’s Anglican, Charlotte Ilse Schrade youngest daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Adolf Schrade of West Germany and Douglas Ralph Weaver, Midland.

June 23rd, St. Patrick’s Church, Perkinsfield, Ina Doreen Wooder, daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Archie Wooder, Perkinsfield and Dr. Fred Phillip Ceresney of Toronto

June 18th, St. Paul’s United, Midland, Mary Ruth James, daughter of Dr. & Mrs. C.N. James and Daniel Patterson Webb, eldest son of Mr. & Mrs. Clement Webb, Victoria Harbour.

May 28th, St. Margaret’s Church, Norah Eleanor Mary Murray daughter of Mr. & Mrs. William J. Murray, Midland and Raymond J. Robitaille, son of Mr. & Mrs. Arthur Robitaille, Midland.

June 11th, Mount Dennis Ontario, Marian Jean Todd, daughter of Mrs. George Todd of Penetang and Ernest Walter Bazinet, only son of Mr. & Mrs. Ernest Bazinet, Penetang.

June 18th, Coldwater United Church, Jacqueline Elizabeth Hall daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Hawke of Eady and Alvin Dalton Emms, eldest son of Dalton Emms, North River.

 Other notes;

– At this time the Delewana Inn at Honey Harbour was publishing weekly the names of their guests and if from Ontario also included their address. Banquet and service club names were also listed, such as the Penetang Separate School Board meeting June 6th and the Public School Teachers of Midland June 13th.

– Guy Hebner was advertising “Charter Boat – Trips for all Occasions” “Special Fishing Trips – Boats for Rent” 164 (174) Charles Street Phone 666M

– “Baseball – North Simcoe League Collingwood Belaires vs Herb Beauchamp’s Midland Indians” admission 50 cents.

– Penetang Water & Light Commission authorizes employees to immediately turn off the water supply to any resident watering their lawn during restricted hours, service to be resumed upon payment of fines

– Elmvale council petitions Ontario Liquor Control Board to keep local store open six days a week during the summer months

– Beauty Box Salon now open, Mary Lou Edwards proprietress, 253 (577) Hugel Ave. W. Phone 1447

– Don Messer Show featuring Marg Osborne, Charlie Chamberlain and Duke Neilson – plus- an evening of round and square dancing with Don Messer and his Islanders. Midland Arena Tonight at 9 PM

– Roller Skating at the Arena every Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday

6 thoughts on “Huronia Museum – Looking Back 60 Years in North Simcoe – June 24th to 30th 1955

  1. oh, the humiliation. all my life! no rest. re the baseball pix, that would be Billy Mackie, not Ken Mackie. will it ever end.

  2. I really enjoyed the picture of the Lavignes. They are ( were) my Great Uncle Albert and Great Aunt Lizzie. Haven’t seen pictures of them in many years. Brings back many memories. Thank you.

    • I shared the picture with Noella Lavigne last evening, as well as the article. She is the widow of Cyril Lavigne.She loved the photo and added it to her personal collection.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s