The photos found in this blog post are the property of Huronia Museum, Midland, Ontario. Any reproduction for commercial use without permission is prohibited. Any other distribution must credit Huronia Museum. Please contact the museum with any questions you may have.
Click on photos to enlargeUnusual twin visitors in Midland harbor were the two Royal Canadian Navy ships seen above berthed at the town dock. They are the HMCS Lanark (nearest camera) and the HMCS Outremont. On training cruises of the Great Lakes, the Outremont left Midland Saturday and the Lanark on Monday.
All findings at the Forget Site of Dr. Wilfrid Jury’s summer school of Indian archaeology were recorded on this scale map. Two of Dr. Jury’s main helpers were Dawn Phibbs of St. Thomas, left, and Loukie Weyerman of London.
Happiest golfer in North Simcoe this week is Fred Lemieux of Midland, who got himself a hole-in-one on the 160-yard eight at Brooklea Golf and Country Club Tuesday night. Fred is showing the lucky three wood that did the trick, while June Hansford, left, and Mrs. Willi Germann look on.
Two vehicles were classed as total wrecks following a collision Friday evening on the Thunder Bay side road. The car in one photo is owned by Majoric Desjardins of Penetang. Mr. Desjardins and his wife were taken to Penetang hospital with serious injuries. The 1960 model car in this photo is owned by Thomas Vallee.
Robert Gervais —15-year-old Lafontaine lad who has become quite an accomplished pianist, was recently awarded first class honours in conservatory examinations. He received 85 per cent in a music performance as a solo performer, 93 , in Grade 10 technical and 80 in Grade 4 theory, counterpoint. He is a pupil of Holy Cross studio in Penetang.
This motorist isn’t making things any better for pedestrians by crowding over the white-lined crosswalk at King and Hugel. Cars should be stopped behind the walk pointed out chief Wainman. (The crossing markings had been recently applied and were part of a campaign the chief was on to protect the pedestrians on Midland streets. We include the photo more for the view of King & Hugel and the vintage car, love those wings.)
Provincial Subsidies Cut – Curb Public Works Plans
Free Press Herald headline of July 20, 1965
Drastic curtailment of the town’s public works program was considered at Monday night’s special meeting of Midland council. A revised works plan, which will be discussed in detail at a later meeting, was necessitated when council heard that it is unlikely additional monies will be forthcoming from the provincial government on the town’s supplementary bylaw for $80,000, of which, only $33,500 had been approved by the government.
Policy Setting Session Revamps Public Works
Free Press Herald headline of July 22, 1965
Alteration of the organization and procedures carried out by the public works department were approved by Midland council at its special meeting Monday night. After lengthy discussion, which included questions from Fred Horton, representing local contractors, council approved changes in the following areas: Field inspections and certification of goods supplied and services rendered; job number allotment and accounting; schedules of payments for equipment, goods and services; allotment of work and such other recommendations as deemed fit.
Sites on the old naval and military establishments at Fort Penetanguishene will be the settings for the unveiling of two historical plaques, Saturday, August 6, according to Dr. W. Jury. Hon. Bryan Cathcart, Ontario Minister of Travel and Publicity, will be among the dignitaries present to take part in the unveiling ceremonies. These two plaques will bring Penetang’s total to six, the existing ones being at the Officers’ Quarters, the Naval site at the Red Dock, the site of Lieut. Henry Wolsey Bayfield’s headquarters, and at St. James’ Church on-the-lines. The naval plaque is to be erected near the site of the residence occupied by Capt. John Moberly, R.N, not too far distant from the old military cemetery. It is a picturesque setting, on a gentle slope looking out over the waters of Penetang Bay. The military plaque is to be placed near the old chimney at the southwest corner of the military establishment which marks the site of Capt. Keating’s comfortable home near the bay.
Mumps continue to top the list of communicable diseases reported to Simcoe County Health Unit. The unit’s monthly report issued this week lists the diseases as follows: mumps 144; chicken pox 23; measles 10; scarlet fever 9; German measles 4; salmonellosis 2. Health unit director Dr. P. A. Scott notes that this year marks 12 years of service for the unit.
Sunday, July 24 has been chosen as the date to mark the 124th anniversary of historic St. James’ Church on-the-Lines at Penetanguishene. St. James came into being through a grant of land by the government in 1835, for a church for military, personnel and residents of the district. Through the efforts of Captain John Moberly, R.N. and Capt. James Keating, military commander at Fort Penetanguishene, funds were raised locally and in England, and St. James’ was built in 1836. Original dimensions of the structure reached as far as the present chancel steps. The chancel and reredos, famous for its unique military motif and coloring, were added in 1870. The unique woodwork and pews, with initials carved on them, are still in the old church, just as they have been for more than a century.
WAUBAUSHENE — The approach to St. John’s Roman Catholic Cemetery, Waubaushene, has been enhanced during the last few weeks by the removal of the wire fence and the erection of a wrought iron fence. The fence recedes at the centre to form an alcove in which has been erected a bronze statue of “Christ on the Cross” in life size. In front of this is a polished kneeling bench. The work has been done by various men of the congregation, working together on Saturdays and evenings.
Working in cooperation with writer Beatrice Riddell of The Financial Post, the Georgian Bay Development Association has been securing much favorable publicity for the cruising waters of the Georgian Bay. The Financial Post may seem like a rather strange publication in which to do this promotion but it is one which is read by the people who have money enough to run the big yachts attracted to these waters. W. N. Keefe of the Georgian Bay Development Association is to be congratulated on securing this additional publicity for our area.
Penetang’s IGA store continues to be a mark for would-be-thieves, with the latest break-in occurring Saturday night when the culprits failed to complete the job of blowing open the store safe. According to Constables W. Lacroix and Bruce Hook, who were called to investigate, the thieves gained entrance to the building by sawing metal bars on the window of a wash room. They made their exit by smashing a large rear door in the building. Police believe the attempted robbery was carried out by amateurs, as a considerable amount of nitro glycerin was spilled on the floor around the overturned safe. Apparently the safe was turned on its back, and the door dented with a hammer to provide a convenient spot to pour the explosive fluid into the crack around the door. A quantity of children’s modelling clay found at the scene indicated it had been used to hold the detonating cap against the safe. A blanket apparently was used in an attempt to muffle the explosion. It is believed only the detonating cap exploded, blowing a hole in the blanket without setting off the nitro or damaging the safe in any manner.
For the YMCA, camping is big business. Just how big was revealed recently by J. W. “Win” Smith, secretary of Midland’s Y’s own Camp Kitchikewana, largest of several such ‘Y’ camps in the Beausoleil Island-Severn River area. Doing a bit of quick figuring, “Smitty” estimated that between 1,500 and 2,000 boys and girls will attend camps in this area during July and August. Of the Ontario camps, seven of them are located in the Georgian Bay area, including four on Beausoleil, one on the Bay, one at Go-Home Bay, and one on the Severn River. There are many other camps in the district, of course, operated by other associations. “I would estimate the budget of these camps at well over $150,000 for the season, much of it spent with merchants in this area,” said the Kitchi director.
One of the pioneer men of the baking industry in Simcoe County and a prominent resident of Waubaushene for many years, Philip Thiffault, 76, died following a two-car collision in Miami, Florida, Monday. Maynard Thiffault, a son, of Waubaushene, said his father and step-mother had left Waubaushene July 11 for a southern holiday. Mrs. Thiffault, the former Eva Cronin Tibbett, suffered a broken arm, facial cuts and other injuries. Born in Champlain County, Quebec, Mr. Thiffault came to Waubaushene as a boy and his first employment was at the old Waubaushene Lumber Co. mill. Later he started a bake shop in Waubaushene. “My father was one of the first men to deliver bread by truck in this county. He was doing this in Orillia before World War I,” his son Maynard told this paper yesterday. Mr. Thiffault Sr. went out of the business at the start second world conflict.
PERKINSFIELD—At Chateau Gai, July 16, women of the church here held their annual chicken dinner and bazaar. A total of 1,600 plates were served. The weather was ideal. Prizes for the various contests were made by private citizens or donated by Midland and Penetang businessmen.
Ten Years Ago This Week
General Leather Goods, Victoria Harbour, doubled their staff to a total of 50 employees. * * * Average attendance at the excavations, conducted by Dr. Wilfrid Jury, at Fort Ste. Marie I were 500 per day with the record day reaching 650 persons. * * * The former Hanly Foundry and Machine Shop, having fallen prey to vandals, was acquired by the town of Midland by tax registration. * * * A severe electrical storm struck Waubaushene, burning out electrical transformers and keeping some parts of the community without power for most of the day. * * * The CPR’s S.S. Manitoba after sailing the Great Lakes for 61 years was being dismantled in a Hamilton shipyard. Flames from a cutting torch ripped through her bow. * * * Due to a fall down his cellar steps, James Lazonby who provides this newspaper with its weather reports, was unable to spend his wedding anniversary in his usual manner — a canoe trip with Mrs. Lazonby on the Severn River. * * * Coldwater’s new fire truck was used for the first time under actual firefighting conditions when it was called to a blaze at the home of Cliff Woodrow. * * * Members of the same destroyer flotilla during a phase of World War II, Lieut. Eric Earnshaw (RCN) and Dr. James Small met again when Lieut. Earnshaw brought his ship HMCS Portage into Midland on a training cruise. On active service, Dr. Small was a surgeon lieutenant during the war.
Wise & Otherwise – The miraculous feat of seven-year-old Rodger Woodward, first person to go over Niagara Falls unintentionally and live, holds a lesson for every person who sets foot in a motor boat — wear a lifejacket. The fact the 70-pound lad was wearing one is said to be the main reason, he is alive today. It is a piece of equipment that could work equally as effectively in an emergency for those on the heavily travelled waters of Georgian Bay and district.
WILFORD J. JEWITT Born and educated in Midland, Wilford Joseph “Bub” Jewitt died unexpectedly of a heart attack at his home in Huntsville, July 2. The body rested at Addison funeral home, Huntsville, until Sunday evening, July 3, when it was brought to the Midland home of his brother-in-law and sister, Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Murphy, 300 Yonge Street. Solemn requiem high mass was celebrated in St. Margaret’s Church, Midland, July 5. Celebrant of the mass was Rev. J. P. Johnston, a cousin of the deceased. He was assisted by Rev. A. Dorcel, deacon, and Rev. R. J. Egan, sub-deacon. Burial was in St. Margaret’s Cemetery. Pallbearers were Pat McIlroy, Tom McDonald, Howard Deschamp, Ginger Davies, John Woods and Ray Morris. Born in Midland in 1914, the son of the late Capt. And Mrs. W. J. Jewitt, he was educated at Midland public and high schools. In 1937 he was married to the former Marion Gendron of Penetang. He had lived in Toronto, Stayner and Huntsville, the last named for the past nine years. A Roman Catholic, he was a member of the Holy Name Society. Mr. Jewitt had served in the Canadian Army in World War II for more than two years. He was a past president of Huntsville Lions Club, and had served on the executive of the CNIB advisory committee for three years. He also was a credit union executive officer. He was a Liberal in politics. Besides his wife, he is survived by a daughter, Judy, at home; and two sisters, Mrs. Glen Taylor of Erin and Mrs. William Murphy, Midland. Another sister, Mrs. Bob Murray, predeceased him.
JOHN J. MACKSEY A resident of Midland for, 73 years, John Joseph Macksey died in St. Andrews Hospital, Midland, June 30, following a short illness. Funeral services were held July 2 at A. Barrie and Sons funeral home, with burial in Lakeview Cemetery. Rev. R. Wright officiated. Pallbearers were John Todd, Cliff Strong, Keith Fleming, Almer Todd, Garnet Drinkle and Elmer Belfry. Born Nov. 4, 1880, at Lindsay, Mr. Macksey spent only six years of his life there before moving to Midland. A lifelong member of the Baptist Church, he had also served as welfare officer in Midland for some 20 years. Predeceased by his wife in 1948, Mr. Macksey is survived by three daughters, Josie (Mrs. M. Foster), Thornhill, Marjorie (Mrs. Chas. Grove), and Bernice (Mrs. B. Walker), both of Willowdale; and one son. Jack of Midland. There is also a sister, Mrs. M. Rachar, Edgar, a brother, Arthur Macksey, Midland, five grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.
ALICE H. MILLS Born and educated at Victoria Harbour, Mrs. Alice Helena Mills died in St. Andrews Hospital, Midland, July 12. She was in her 71st year. Six nephews were pallbearers at the funeral service July 15 at A. Barrie and Sons funeral home, conducted by Rev. R. G. Nodwell. Mrs. Mills, the former Alice Ball, lived in Toronto for 50 years and returned to Victoria Harbour last year. On May 13, 1914, at Toronto, she married James Howard Mills. She was a member of Rebekah Lodge, Waubaushene, and the United Church. Besides her husband and a son Wesley of Toronto, Mrs. Mills is survived by the following brothers and sisters: Mrs. Lena Hurdy, Midland; Mrs. Edna Donovan, Mrs. Laura Belfry, and Mrs. Claretta Belcher, all of Victoria Harbour; Mrs. Rita Benriett of Detroit and Sentlo Ball and Charlie Ball, both of Barrie. Burial Was in Victoria Harbour Union Cemetery.
(Birth announcements are still missing from the newspaper.)
Front page of the Free Press 80 years ago this week.
Pages from The Free Press Herald_1940-07-24