From the editorial page of the Free Press June 8th 1955 under the topic “Wise and Otherwise”
– Harvey White whose grandfather was Midland’s third settler, brought to Midland in his wagon A. W. Ruby’s father when the latter first arrived in Midland. And the first job which Harvey had, prior to joining the CPR 27 years ago was with A. W. Ruby in his bakery on Midland Ave.
-Of Ontario’s 47 museums, five are located in Simcoe County. Sixteen of the 47 are owned and operated by the provincial or federal government or their agencies. Most popular is the Royal Ontario Museum with 436,000 visitors last year, second is the National Museum in Ottawa with 225,000 visitors last year, old Fort Henry with 162,000, Fort George with 53,000, Fort Erie with 32,000 and the Public Archives in Ottawa with 30,000. The 31 private or municipally owned museums attracted just over 200,000 and five of those are in this area. Fort Penetanguishene, Huronia Museum, Martyr’s Shrine, Huron Institute in Collingwood and the Women’s Institute in Barrie reported just under 80,000, 90 percent of those visitors were at the Penetang and Midland institutions.
In the “Want Ads”
– McCaskey cash register, good as new, J. W. Bald 274 (now 298) Fourth Street.
– Gill net fishing licence with equipment, boats, A. Brunelle, 138 Robert St. Penetang, after 6 PM.
-Sand, gravel, top soil and fill, Walter McMann, 392 Russell Street (now 346), phone 480R.
– 1954 Chev sedan, practically new, very reasonable, apply Steve’s Service Station, Yonge St. W.
– 20 foot varnished utility runabout, 6 cylinder Buchanan, foam cushions, navy top, lights, electric bilge pump, $1050.00 Box 657 Penetanguishene
– Piano tuning and repairing, free estimates, Ralph Blinkhorn, Phone 1267W, Midland
– Apartment for rent, four large rooms, everything electric, separate entrance, vacant now, King Street S., phone 1983, $65.00.
– 2 acres, excellent gardening, 7 room house, 3 piece bath, hot water furnace, price reasonable. Urbain Maurice, R. R. 3, Penetang.
– Would the person who was seen taking Gord Brand’s wallet at Little Lake on Thursday evening kindly return same to 175 Yonge St. (now 427) and save further trouble. This was a keepsake.
– Eight little pigs, 8 weeks old. Grant’s, 98 Donalda Street.
– Mr. & Mrs. Claude Boylea, RR #1, Coldwater, wish to announce the birth of their son John Robert, 9 lbs. 1 1/2 oz. on May 31st at Soldiers Memorial Hospital.
– Mr. & Mrs. Bruce May announce the birth of their daughter Brenda Jean, May 30, at St. Andrews Hospital.
– J. R. Phil Latour, after a six month illness, born in Lafontaine on October 24th, 1867 and received his education there. In 1894 he married the former Annie Delorme in Penetang who predeceased him in May of 1937. He has lived in Lafontaine, Penetang, Musquash Mills, Byng Inlet and had spent the last 36 years in Midland. He had worked in the old saw mill and lumber camps and more recently the fibre board plant and the CNR roundhouse. Survived by sons, Ernest, Alfred, Lawrence and Tom, daughters Evelyn, Lavena Mrs. George Ambeau of Midland, Irene Mrs. Leo Fournier, Martyrs Shrine, Delcie and Edna Mrs. Leo Quesnelle of Port McNicoll.
– Charles H. Kaus died suddenly May 19th in his 64th year, he had lived his entire life in Penetang. He was a wood finisher and painter by trade having worked for Gidley Boats for 31 years before taking a position in the liquor store 17 years ago. He was a firefighter for 29 years, a WW1 veteran of the 157th battalion. Survived by his wife Hilda Arbour, two sons Gerald and Charles Jr. and four daughters, Annette, Marion, Carol and Lois.
Two members of Midland’s intermediate “A” hockey team of last winter, goalie Bruce Hook on the left and forward “Chuck” Edwards are seen with the new jackets the boys received at a dinner in the Georgian Hotel Friday night. Mrs. Hook and Miss Camilla Coyle of Barrie look on.
Group of Elmvale citizens have a reason to be happy after helping to raise $50,000.00 for a new addition to St. John’s United Church. At a loyalty dinner held in the community center, campaign committee members are, front row, Milt Trace, chairman, Mrs. Mervin Corbett, Mrs. M. Trace, Mrs. Gordon Giffon, historian, W. S. Campbell, back row, Earl Elliot, Fred Griffen, Fred Webster, Rev. A.G. Reynolds D. D., Jack Whitfield and Elmer Fiegehen.
Members of St. John’s United Church Elmvale have exceeded by $5,000.00 their $45,000.00 objective for an addition to the church. Standing on the steps of the church are Dr. A.G. Reynolds minister of the church and his wife.
George S. Dudley QC, chairman of the building committee receives the key to the new $100,000.00 addition to St. Paul’s United Church from H. J. Thompson, vice chair of the committee.
(read more about George Dudley’s contributions to Midland and Canadian hockey at the Midland Sports Hall of Fame web site in the “Builders” section in the year 1996)
Retiring this week after serving as teacher and principal of Midland District High School for 35 years J. J. Robins was presented with a 400 day clock by the student body last Wednesday. Shirley Wiles made the presentation.
Pond at Rumble’s Mill in Hillsdale shows affects of hurricane Hazel. Local W. I. is continuing their plan to repair and open the swimming facilities here. John Rumble examines the damage to the women’s dressing room caused by Hurricane Hazel. Swimming classes are planned for July.
2 thoughts on “Huronia Museum – Looking Back 60 Years in North Simcoe – June 9th to 16th 1955”
As always, a most enjoyable glance into the past. There is also quite a lesson in this specific column regarding genealogy and the quest to find our ancestors. Note the entry reporting the death of J.R. Phil Latour – this fellow and this family are quite challenging for researchers. The name undergoes many variations – believe it or not, this particlar branch of the family will be found as ST. ONGE in the Michigan region in the 18th century; then it becomes ST. ONGE dit LETARD – subsequent generations use merely the LETARD, which then also becomes LETHARD, LETHOR and LETHARD (Mrs. Leo Fournier’s baptism was as a Irene LETARD – born 19 May 1916 and baptised 28 May 1918 – her father Raphael LETHAR & mother Annie DELORME). Years later, as is evident by this article, it has become LATOUR. It is enjoyable to read the old newspapers not only for the local information and glimpse into the past, but to also bump into familiar names and families. Thanks for all you do here!
Thank you for the nice comments Deborah. I assume you have seen this obituary in the Free Press and all the extra information we did not include. Names of the girl’s spouses, pall bearers, DOB, died in a nursing home in Toronto, etc. My genealogy is Irish/English/Scottish where there are some name variations but nothing like this, especially his second name Raphael which he used instead of Joseph.