Click on photos to enlarge
Girls Corps at MPDHS marched on the field during the annual cadet inspection on what was a very cold afternoon for shorts and a blouse. Leaders of the corps; front row, Sylvia White, Vera Sibbald, Simone Beauchamp, Betty Binkley, Doris Hyde, Murielle Martin; back row, Marie Lepage, Jean King, Hazel Boucher, Lucille Duquette, Ruth Gibson and Marita Lalonde. (Short hair was in)
Dancing around the Maypole was one of the highlights featured during a program in the MPDHS gym following the annual cadet inspection Wednesday afternoon. Performers included, Ann Williams, Carol Cowan, Trine Ulrichsen, Kathleen Vincent, Nancy Jardine, Helen Parker, Linda Contois, Pat Fraser, JoAnn Holmes, Diane Ball, Ruth Humphries, Pat Fitzgerald, Dorthea Reynolds, Barbara Piitz, Jackie Jenkinson and Frances Marchant, directed by Miss Barbara Murphy.
Getting bigger every year, the MPDHS Cadet Corps is seen at their annual inspection on the playing field of the school. Some cadets had to appear in partial uniform due to the increase in numbers. At a meeting the same day a motion was approved to increase the size of the corps from 235 to 350. The Girls Corp can be seen in white sweaters to the right. Also attending was the Midland Citizens Band and a platoon of Sea Cadets. (Many of the houses in the background along Yonge St. were constructed by military veterans of WW 11 under the Veteran’s Land Act of 1942. Over 140,000 ex-servicemen took advantage of the low cost long term loans. Recently a new subdivision was started on the vacant property shown here and the heavy hardwood bush that grew up on this open field over 60 years was cut down. Also note the ski jump towering on the horizon.)
Field secretary for the CNIB, Wm. Murdoch, Mrs. A. H. Tweedle, past president of the Midland Canadian Club and Doug McMillan, president of the Unamous Hi-Y Boys, chat after Mrs. Tweedle had officially opened the boys tea in the YMCA Saturday afternoon. The tea and bake sale funds were donated to the CNIB. ( I suspect this photo is reversed as four people appear to be left handed.)
A familiar landmark at Midland’s Little Lake Park the old log cabin is being removed completely. A gift from the late Dr. Garnett E. Tanner, it served as the post office for the campers for a number of years and was then made into living quarters.
Huge new bottling machine installed recently at the Penetang Bottling Co. turns out soft drinks at the rate of 240 cases an hour, a 50 percent increase over previous equipment. Process starts with the top photo where Ed Charlesbois is shown putting full cases of bottles onto the endless belt which takes them through the washer. A pneumatic machine lifts all 24 bottles from the case at one time. The delivery end of the washer is shown in the second photo, where bottles travel past an inspection point with Mrs. Phillip Quesnelle (nee Exilda Contois) shown searching for dirty, chipped or broken bottles. Heart of the whole machine, third photo, is where the bottles receive a charge of syrup, then a charge of water and carbonation and finally the all important cap. The last photo is the delivery line where half way along the mixer turns the bottles over and over to thoroughly mix the contents. At the far end Martin Quigley takes the bottles from a turntable and places them into a case for delivery.
Official sod turning for Midland’s new municipal building on Dominion Ave, former site of Central Public School. Mayor Charles Parker did the honours about 5:15 PM Monday evening using a gold or was it bronze handled shovel. James Clarkson, H. G. W. Paice, L. R. Diver, Neville Keefe, Mrs. Paice, Mrs. Ross Willett (Pat Carroll), Robert Cripps, alderman Ossie Downer, Charles Onley, Clint Smith, Bill Logan, R.G. Gilles, contractor Alfred Rei and deputy reeve Bill Cranston.
Seventeen teen aged drivers turned out to take the Midland Jaycee’s Road-e-o course at the town dock. Drivers had to complete various maneuvers and tests during the competition, a large crowd turned out despite the poor weather. Norm Eisenberg was the overall winner and will advance to the regional finals in Woodstock.
- Commencing May 25th Penetang stores will be open late Friday nights instead of Saturday.
- Workmen’s Compensation premiums to become mandatory for retailers, January 1, 1957.
- 25 YEARS AGO this week– Canadian Department Stores celebrating its third year of operation in Midland, employed a staff of fourteen under management of Larry Barnum and was located at Bay and King Streets. — Midland Steam Laundry and Bon Marche Manufacturing Company, owned and operated by N. K. Wagg, re-opened with modern equipment following a fire which destroyed the former plants. — The Ontario Government decided to proceed with construction of two buildings for the mentally insane at Penetang at a cost of $500,000.00 and planned removal of all criminally insane from Guelph to Penetang, leaving Guelph to be used as a reformatory for first offenders. — James Hamilton died at Orr Lake at 90 years of age on the farm owned by his father and operated as a wayside inn for travellers in the district’s pioneer days (Penetanguishene Road). — Midland Kiwanis Club provided more than 10,000 bottles of milk to various Midland schools and 30 members undertook supervision of 30 boys as part of their good citizenship training.
- Excerpt from a narrative written by Methodist missionary Rev. James Evans which first appeared in the Christian Guardian September 28th, 1836 and was re-published in eight parts in the County Herald under the title “Mission Tour on Lake Huron”. Monday August the 8th Munnedoolin Island: This morning the ground, excepting the bark wigwaums and red faces reminded one of a fair in the happiest of lands; — all astir, walking, running and in high glee. But there is one difference which has been a subject of remark among us – that among about 2,000 adults, we have never heard an angry word, or seen an angry look; much less have any of them come to blows, either in anger or diversion. About sixteen hundred men, women and children received their presents from the British Government. In this manner the Indians were annually supplied with clothing and many had spent nearly the whole summer months in journeying to the place of distribution. What was distributed; Deserving Chiefs, 2 1/2 yds woolen cloth, 1/2 yd stroud (a course woolen fabric), 3 yds linen, 1 three point blanket, 1 cotton shawl, 1 oz thread, 4 needles, 1 comb, 1 awl, 1 knife, 4 lbs tobacco, 3 lbs ball, 9 lbs shot, 4 lbs powder, 6 gun flints and if needed a gun. Deserving Warriors: 2 1/2 yds rateen (a course loosely woven cloth), 2 1/2 yds cotton, 1/2 oz thread, 3 lbs tobacco, 2 lbs ball, 7 lbs shot, 3 lbs powder, 4 flints and 1 blanket. Common Warriors: Same as last except 1 lb less tobacco. Deserving Women (being the wives of chiefs or warriors who had been in actual service during the late war): One 2 1/2 point blanket, 2 1/2 yds cloth, 1 1/4 yds molton ( a twill fabric with a velvet like nap on one side) , 2 1/2 yds printed calico, 1 oz thread, 4 needles, 1 awl, 1 knife and 1 comb. The remainder of the women received the same except lesser quantities. Boys from 10 to 15 years of age: One two point blanket, 1/2 yard rateen, 1/2 yd stroud, 2 yds cotton. Boys from 5 to 9 years of age: 3/4 yd caddies (?), 1/4 yd stroud, 1 1/2 yds cotton and one 1 point and a half blanket. Girls 10 to 15 years of age: 3/4 yard caddies, 1 1/4 yd stroud, one 2 point blanket and 2 yds calico. Girls 5 to 9 yers of age: 1/2 yd caddies, 3/4 yd stroud, 1 1/2 yd calico and one point and a half blanket. Children under 5: 1/2 yd stroud, 1 yd calico and one 1 point blanket. Pork and flour was also distributed to all.
- Description of Hudson Bay Point Blankets from Wikipedia: The short black lines woven into the blanket just above the bottom set of stripes are referred to as “points.” About four inches in length (except in the case of half points, which are two inches), they indicate the finished overall size (area) of a blanket and allow a blanket’s size to be easily determined while remaining folded. The “point” system was invented by French weavers in the mid-18th-century since then, as now, blankets were shrunk as part of the manufacturing process. The word point derives from the French empointer, meaning “to make threaded stitches on cloth.” Although the company had been selling blankets since its founding in 1670, the first Hudson’s Bay “pointed” blankets appeared in 1780. A four point blanket today is approximately a double bed size.