Click on photos to enlarge Wet heavy snow this week brought grumbles from drivers but was great for making snow sculptures. Patricia Puetz, 5, and her sister Susan, 3, ride the giant lion in their yard at 242 Sixth Street Midland. Daughters of Mr. & Mrs. Nelson Puetz.
The mark on “Red Chiefs” forehead symbolizes all young colts, to their race horse owners. Will he be a winner or just a feed burner, only time will tell. His owner Roy Lawson of Midland hopes this big rangy sorrel three-year-old will more than pay his share of the keep.
A graduate of a Barrie modelling school, Josie Tersigni will return to her home town to act as fashion commentator for Penetang Parent – Teachers Association fashion show.
March 14th was the last day to renew your licence plates, even so, this motorist paused on his way up the steps, no doubt thinking of something else he could be doing with the money.
Isolette incubator acquired by Penetang General Hospital at a cost of nearly $1,000, gives babies more than a fighting chance. Plastic top allows child to be seen from any angle, an alarm goes off if the temperature is too high, an analyzer checks oxygen piped in from outside and “open and close” armholes permit nurse Dorothy Duncan to move the baby without exposing it to outside air. Weighing can be accomplished without removing the child from the incubator.
With another winter rapidly drawing to a close, Midland Lions Club’s skating revue will just about wind up activities at Arena Gardens for this season. The carnival has improved every year and the Lions are planning on this one being no exception. Getting in a spot of practice above are Mary Louise Parker, left, and Linda Revard.
The body of Gordon Williams was to be transported to the Native cemetery near Wa-Wa-Taysee from Penetang by Albert Lepage. Gordon was killed in an accident at the Century Coal Dock in Midland Saturday. After several attempts the trip had to be postponed due to sticky snow, poor visibility and open water conditions.
The domestic science course is popular at the new Midland Penetang District High School. Mrs. William Bartlett watches students Barbara Johnstone and Eva Koenig create an apple pie.
Raising money for the world service work of the YMCA is one of the projects of Midland’s Cataracts Gra-Y Club. Seen sorting the candy they are selling are Ken Archer, Gerald Wotherspoon, Tom Davis and John Carpenter.
Members of the Midland Lions Figure Skating Club prepare for their annual carnival to be held at the Midland Arena Gardens April 5-6. Suzanne McFarlane, Angela Magnus and Barbara Spence.
There is work for the women too in the harness racing game during the off season. Mrs. Keith Waples is seen doing a repair on her noted racing husband’s “silks”, little Gordon aged one seems more interested in the button on daddy’s hat. Mrs. Waples, the former Eileen Devitt of Orr Lake and the other three children, Barbara 8, Donna 5, and Karen 3, accompany Keith to the Montreal tracks, where they live in a 41 foot trailer home.
Keith’s best day on the track came last June in Montreal. There, one Saturday night, he drove eight straight winners at Blue Bonnets. Next day at Richelieu he also came up with a winner in the first race. That mark of nine straight wins is a world’s record, at least for the big tracks where they have pari-mutuel betting.
- TEN YEARS AGO THIS WEEK *** March, 1947, in North Simcoe as recorded in the pages of the Free Press Herald, will go down in history as one of the most contrary months in the history of the district. Although the month came in and went out like a lamb, the weeks between were just the opposite. Not one seven day period from the first to the last week passed by without at least one severe storm, and snow was piled to the rooftops. *** Choirs of all three Penetang Protestant churches combined to present a Cantata, “The King of Glory”. * * * A $10,000 blaze damaged a two-storey brick building on the grounds of the Ontario Hospital at Penetang. The structure was used chiefly as a work shop with a bake shop in one end. *** A pontifical blessing from Vatican City was awarded to W. W. Jury for his extensive research in Huronia and in particular his work at St. Ignace II. The scroll bore a picture of Pope Pius and the Vatican seal. Mr. Jury was one of the few Protestants in Ontario to be so honored. *** The district was hit by the winter’s worst gale, with winds to 70 miles per hour lashing the area. Freight traffic was suspended, buses from Toronto did not reach Midland and Owen Sound was isolated. The highway to Barrie was completely blocked between Waverley and Elmvale. *** Shirley Player, Elmvale, now Mrs. Jim Gleadall of Coldwater, was voted head girl at Elmvale High School. (Shirley is a good friend, she is in good health, still driving, sits on the board of the Coldwater Mill, still lives in North River and has an encyclopedic knowledge of Elmvale and Coldwater.)
- CSL aft-end crews were called to return to their ships today. Paterson Line freighters at the Simcoe Elevator already have steam up.
- Jane Lippert, the artist who executed the mural in the main hall of Midland – Penetang District High School, recently completed another for the new Juvenile and Family Court building of Metropolitan Toronto. Her work, depicting happy family life, is one of the features of the ultra-modern, $1,300,000 building. Located at 311 Jarvis Street, the building was opened Monday. (Will the mural at MSS be saved, it has been the backdrop for high school life in Midland for over 60 years?)
- An insight into operations of Midland parks was given to Midland Kiwanis Club at its meeting March 11. Chief speaker was Parks Commission Chairman W. J. Murray. Parks Chairman Murray explained that the major source of revenue for the parks came from the 90 cabins and 12 cottages, amounting to more than $20,000 last year. However, he pointed out that when all expenditures for labor and maintenance costs are met, that a little over $7,000 profit remains from this venture. He explained that the commission had adopted a policy of replacing its sub-standard cabin accommodation with modern cottages, comprised of two bedrooms, kitchen, living room and bathroom equipped with a shower. He said the demand for these cottages was increasing. All were booked up for this year. Mr. Murray revealed that the maintenance of the public park and Town Park absorbed most of the profit derived from the tourist camp section. He spoke of commission plans to extend the beach area, of the excellent bass fishing in the lake and of the pleasure that district citizens derive winter and summer.
- OBITUARIES *** W. J . STEGGLES A well-known Midland resident William James Steggles died March 8 in Penetang General Hospital following a coronary thrombosis. He was in his 78th year. Funeral service was held March 11 at A. Barrie and Sons funeral home with interment in the Necropolis, Toronto, the following day. Mr. Steggles was born in Toronto, July 8, 1879, and received his education there and in Allandale. He married the former Minnie E. Drury in Barrie. She was a cousin of E. C. Drury, former Ontario premier. The couple moved to Midland in 1907 and took up residence in the house now owned by Clarke Edwards. A year later they moved to 347 King Street where they spent the rest of their lives. A member of the Presbyterian Church, Mr. Steggles was a life member of Caledonian Lodge No. 249 and was a charter member of the Toronto Railway Club. He was fond of curling and served as secretary treasurer of the Midland Curling Club for seven years. He served on the Park Commission for many years and was fond of carpentry.*** J . A. BALDWIN A well-known sports figure of former years in Midland, John Ansley Baldwin died March 11 in St. Andrews Hospital, from a cerebral hemorrhage. He had been ill about a week. Funeral service was held March 14 at Nicholl’s funeral home with interment in Lakeview Cemetery. Rev. J. Leonard Self officiated. Pallbearers were Charles Flowers, James Clarkson, Sam Bell, Cliff Laughlin, J. J. Robins and Linwood Magee. Joseph Dunlop was a non-active bearer. Mr. Baldwin was born in Victoria Harbour in 1881 and was educated at Manley Street School in Midland. In 1914 he married the former Margaret Moody in Midland. He was 75. While in Midland, he was chief engineer at Tiffin elevator. He had also worked as a contractor and as engineer at Proctor and Gamble, from which firm he retired.*** MRS. J. L. CRAIGHEAD A resident of the Wyebridge-Midland area all her life, Mrs. John L. Craighead died March 7 in St. Andrew’s hospital in her 88th year. Funeral service was held March 9 at A. Barrie and Sons funeral home with interment in Lakeview Cemetery. Rev. W. R. Auld officiated. Pallbearers were Ernest Robins, Charles Hounsome, Cecil Fagan, Charles Robins, Lorne Carruthers, and James Haughton. Mrs. Craighead, the former Mary Esther Robins, was born in Wyebridge, March 28, 1869. In 1900 she married John L. Craighead at her home in Wyebridge. She spent all her life before her marriage, except for one year in Ingersoll, in Wyebridge, and her married life in Midland, except for three years in Wyebridge. A member of the United Church, she was predeceased by her husband in 1942. *** MRS. J. E. STEWART Funeral service was held March 4 for Mrs. Joseph E. Stewart who died March 1 in St. Andrew’s Hospital. She was 68. Service was held at A. Barrie and Sons funeral home with interment in Lakeview Cemetery. Rev. C. V. Freeman officiated. Pallbearers were nephews Ivan Burke, George Parker, Mervin Parker, Boyd Beacock, William Colville, Jr., and Clarence Leonard. Mrs. Stewart, the former Margaret Colville, was born May 11, 1889, in Tiny Township and was educated at Wyevale, In September, 1913, she married Joseph E. Stewart in Midland.
- A little Midland girl who must have had a terrifying experience Saturday morning has apparently suffered no bad after effects. She is Susan Lalonde, 7-year old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Bernard Lalonde, who reside in the veterans’ development at the west end of Yonge Street. Susan apparently went for a walk through the fields across Yonge Street from her home, accompanied by her dog. In some manner she fell into either a small pond or bog near the west end of Little Lake, possibly through some rotting ice. Susan’s cries were eventually heard by Mrs. Reg Gibson, who lives in the area. Investigating, Mrs. Gibson found Susan, minus shoes and rubbers, wet from head to foot and covered with mud, crawling along on her hands and knees.
- All dogs must be kept tied every Monday from the hours of 6.00 a.m. to 6.00 p.m. in the Village of Victoria Harbour and female dogs must be kept tied at all times. VILLAGE COUNCIL (we would appreciate knowing why Mondays only, garbage day maybe?)
- Monday, Mr. Lambert D’Aoust brought into this newspaper office a medal struck by the city of New-York to commemorate the anniversary of the discovery of America by Christopher Columbus. The year the medal was struck has been obliterated by time, but the month “October” still remains legible. Badly corroded, the medal is two and one-quarter inches in diameter and about three-sixteenths of an inch thick. Mr. D’Aoust said he found it while working a field on his farm last fall. He said the field had been pastureland for at least 100 years. Lying beside the medal, as it was turned over by the plow was an equally corroded brass rifle butt plate, bearing the date 1837.
3 thoughts on “Huronia Museum – Looking Back 60 Years Ago in North Simcoe – March 16th to 23rd 1957”
Excellent recollections of our past. Keep up the great work. It brings back a lot of memories!
The mural at MSS depicts colonialism and white privilege and should be destroyed.
While the ideas associated with this mural are certainly controversial for many Canadians, as a museum we are mandated to collect, preserve and exhibit with the purpose of educating our community about our history and development as Canadians. This mural, in context of the greater picture of how we have changed and learned as Canadians, can serve as an important learning tool in telling the story of Canada and how he have changed our views of history and ourselves over he past 150 years. At this time the museum is, however, no part of any project to preserve this mural.