This house was once the home of John Box Horrell, a leading politician and dry goods merchant. Horrell came to Midland in 1879, and opened a store at the corner of King St. and Hugel Ave., which sold an array of dry goods, groceries, crockery, shoes and boots, clothing and household furnishings. From 1883-1878 he acted as Reeve of the village of Midland, and was elected Midland’s first mayor when it became a town in 1878. He held this position until 1897. By all accounts a warm, kind and popular businessman, Horrell’s funeral procession in 1900 was attended by over 100 carriages and hundreds of pedestrians.