Huronia Museum began in 1947 as “Huronia House” in the former home of James and Charlotte Playfair. In 1966, because of repairs needed, the Town of Midland and the Huronia Museum Board decided to relocate the museum to Little Lake Park adjacent to the Huron Indian Village. The Village, which represents a prehistoric Huron hamlet, was originally built and operated by the Midland Y’s Men’s Club. The museum opened the doors at its new location on July 1, 1967. Huronia Museum was expanded again in 1976 as its collection continued to grow. In 1981 Huronia Museum purchased the Huron Village making the two sites into one.
Huronia Museum features an exhibit gallery housing tens of thousands of historic artifacts ranging from photographs, native archaeology and art by members of the Group of Seven, and others.
An aerial view of the first incarnation of the Wendat village as built by the Y.M.C.A.. The village was originally built to be a tourist attraction, not for educational purposes.
An early photo of the Wendat village as it was first constructed by the Y.M.C.A.
The fire at the Wendat village on May 8th of 2007. The village has since been rebuilt with a few changes, most notably only one longhouse was replaced. The village will be officially reopened in the Spring of 2014 with a new entrance and new interpretive panels.
Fire damage to the Wendat village in May of 2007.
A quonset hut, part of the entrance to the Wendat village, housed interpretive materials and some of the museum collection. Most of these pieces were unfortunately lost in the 2007 fire.
During the summer season, the Huronia Museum staff grow corn, beans and squash outside the Wendat village, in the same manner as the Wendat did in the 1600’s.
A diorama depicting the Huron Indian Carol, as told to the Hurons in 1640 by the Jesuits. The diorama came to the Huronia Museum from the National Museum of Canada.
An early view of the Wendat Village from the Lookout tower.
An early display of Native art in the current building. Photo taken in 1968.
Edgehill, originally built and owned by James Playfair, the first home of the Huronia Museum. It was located in what is now Huronia Park.
An advertising Calender For the Huron Indian Village c.1961.