Forged by glaciers at the end of the last Ice Age, Little Lake has been home to many different peoples who have depended on it. Several Wendat villages were located at or near the lake. In the 19th century, it became a popular site for touring and camping and remained so up until the 1990’s.
James Playfair purchased the initial land that made up Little Lake Park in order to save the trees from the lumber mills. He then offered it to the Town of Midland Parks Committee for the original purchase price. Mr. Thos Duncan was appointed the first park commissioner and set about grooming the land to create a friendly public park. In the ensuing years land has been added and further improvements made. Little Lake Park has become the centre of town hosting many major events, including the Royal Visit of 1959 and Midland’s 125th Anniversary celebrations.
Today, Little Lake Park welcomes visitors from near and far, boasting a beautiful view, modern amenities and a fun, family-friendly atmosphere.