The Midland Ski Hills were once home to three nationally-recognized ski jumps. Beginning in 1920s, ski-jumping became popular in southern Ontario with skiers and spectators alike. By 1955, Midland had three of its own jumps, thanks to the vision of ski-jumping enthusiast Pete Pettersen: one full-sized 60-metre jump and two smaller jumps. Local, regional, provincial and Dominion championships were held at the facility, attracting competitors from across the country and thousands of spectators. At one time, Midlanders boasted that the town was the centre of ski-jumping activities in Eastern Canada. Although the events were popular, they were not a financial success and the jumps were torn down in 1967.